Tips for the Home
The home and garden section covers everyday comforts and conveniences such as your family couch or your shower curtain, as well as other items you may not think about until you reach for them, like pesticides and paints.
Top 10 tips
1. Dump chemical air fresheners, scented candles, and pungent potpourri, and save candles and incense for special occasions.
2. Open windows periodically to air out your home.
3. Choose paints that are low in volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and free of alkylphenol ethoxylates (APE-free).
4. Look for alternatives to flexible vinyl, found in shower curtains, pillow and mattress covers, window shades, flooring, and wallpaper.
5. Choose rugs and furniture made with wool, polyester, or other flame retardant-free materials, and avoid stain-resistant treatments.
6. Get rid of mothballs.
7. For pets, use a flea comb as a first defense. If flea and tick treatments are necessary, use oral treatments (pills).
8. Adopt a no-shoes-at-home policy, or stop outdoor toxic chemicals at the door with doormats and rugs.
9. Use organic practices for gardening, lawn care, and indoor plants.
10. Avoid household products advertised as antibacterial, antimicrobial, odor-resistant, or stain-resistant.