Cancer-associated phthalates were found in all the homes tested in the Household Exposure Study.
Plastics found in food packaging can leach hormone-disrupting chemicals into food and drink.
Families who ate a fresh food diet saw a significant drop in their levels of bisphenol A, or BPA.
Some alternative products that avoided well-known phthalates still contained other phthalates.
Outdoor pollutants leak indoors, where they persist in air and dust and infiltrate our bodies.
Chemical air fresheners may be associated with an increased risk of breast cancer.
Food packaging is a major source of exposure to bisphenol A in children and adults.
Vinyl pillow protectors have a high concentration of phthalates, which may cause respiratory symptoms.
Common products expose consumers to a wide range of potentially harmful chemicals.
An estrogenic chemical commonly found in detergents was abundant in indoor air and dust.
Banning certain chemicals from food packaging could reduce the body burdens of many people.
Parabens—hormone disruptors used in personal care products—appeared in most homes tested.
Everyday products can contain a range of undisclosed, potentially harmful chemicals.
Residues from flame retardants banned from children’s pajamas in the late 1970s still linger in homes.
Adults and children who ate a fresh food diet saw a significant drop in their levels of a harmful phthalate.
Private drinking water wells contained evidence of chemical leakage from septic systems.
The flame retardants found in house dust include hormone disruptors and carcinogens.
Chemicals often reach higher levels in indoor air than in outdoor air, as they are slow to degrade inside.
Consumer products are the primary sources of endocrine disrupting exposures in indoor air.
Indoor exposures to toxic chemicals can persist long after the chemicals have been banned.
Wood floor finishes used decades ago may be a persistent source of polychlorinated biphenyls.
In a study of consumer products, fragranced products had the largest number of suspect chemicals.
The highest concentrations of hormone disruptors were found in vinyl shower curtains.
Chemicals that flow down the drain can seep from septic systems into drinking water supplies.
Women fail to heed warnings about chemical risks from consumer products.
Consumer product purchases greatly affect the presence of toxic flame retardants in homes.
Testing and labeling requirements do not prevent the use of hormone disruptors in consumer products.
Among alternative sunscreens, the one found to have the most suspect chemicals was targeted to babies.
Women who reported the highest cleaning product use had twice the breast cancer risk.
Toxic flame retardants linger in homes, sometimes at levels above health guidelines.
California's furniture flammability standard has led to widespread exposures to flame retardants.
Mold and mildew removers may be associated with an increased risk of breast cancer.
High income women have higher breast cancer risk and researchers don't know why.
The failure of septic systems to rid sewage of pollutants may harm drinking water wells.