Among Local Businesses
- Encourage your local retailers to carry organic foods, natural cleaning products, and natural cosmetics. Educate your friends and neighbors, and encourage them to buy natural products as well.
- Ask retailers and manufacturers whether their products are phthalate-free. Consumer questions help to bring about change.
- Give the cosmetics industry a makeover in your community. The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics offers shares ideas for making change in your community.
- Let your local salon know about the health effects associated with nail polish. To learn about safer alternatives, visit the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics website.
- Lobby for better labeling of personal care products and cleaning products. To learn more, consult the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics website. Seventh Generation, a corporation that specializes in environmentally responsible consumer products, also discusses ideas for encouraging right-to-know regulations in its report The Seventh Generation Guide to a Toxin-Free Home.